LISP

She’s gonna be big ‘un!

Brewed a pumpkin brew last week to put on the second tap. This week I decided that I would brew nearly the exact opposite of what I would normally brew and that it was also my birthday I would just go nuts with the ingredients. From that came the idea of LISP: Licorice Imperial Stout Porter (recipe for LISP).

Grains for LISP

A bigger grain bill than normal for me for a 5g batch. You can see the crystal 110 in bowl, bags of chocolate malt, roast barley, and carafa II on top of a bucket that contains the 9lbs of Munich II and 9lbs of 2 row. WAY more grain than I normally use.

Hops and extra ingredients for the LISP

The grain bill was not only one of the larger ones I have had to deal with but the extras were also numerous. In the photo above are two (of three) of the hop additions on the left, bowl of licorice candies in the middle, star anise on the bottom right, fennel seed on the middle right and in behind are demerara sugar and molasses (not just the plain kind, I sprung for the fancy kind). Missing from the group photo is the licorice root (which will be soaked in Sambuca asap until we add it two secondary in a few weeks) and the third hop addition.

The brew went almost as planned with a bit of a bonus in the middle. I was brewing with my friend, Scott, and we have been talking about a doing a parti-gyle brew for a while. We have plans for an “Epic Parti-gyle” involving many mash tuns and many boil kettles resulting in many more carboys filled with beer. Before we went that far I wanted to see how the basics would work. The LISP was not planned as a parti-gyle but when you brew a beer as strong as the LISP you end up leaving a lot of sugar behind in the grains. Instead of just throwing that away we decided to continue sparging so that we got a few more gallons of wort with the same grains in order to make a porter.

Mild brown on the left, LISP on the right.

The timing with both brews worked perfectly! The big brew came to a boil while we were still lautering for the small brew so it had a bit of a head start. That difference was just enough so that when the big brew was done chilling we immediately started chilling the small brew. Transferred into primary with the big brew and as soon as that was done the small brew was ready to transfer.

I pitched the big brew on a yeast cake from a previous batch of beer–A topic always open for discussion on various brewing forums–but was still worried about the viability of the yeast. It was a decent batch that it came from but it had started slow. No worries, though. I checked on the beer after a couple of hours and there was already signs of fermentation. Came back in a few more hours to this:

Excess blow off!

Not a great thing to clean up but it definitely could have been worse.

After a bit of work with a damp cloth and a bucket of water I devised another solution:

Larger jug inside stock pot... No worries now.

Not a great way to spend several minutes having to clean up the mess but I can say that it smelled amazing! I’m really looking forward to this brew in the deep of winter: A true sipper.

Advertisements

About It's what's on tap...

I'm a bass trombone player. I make beer. I take pictures. View all posts by It's what's on tap...

10 responses to “LISP

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: